Adobe and Zend Introduce Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHPNew Offering Accelerates Mobile App Development for PHP Across Android, Blackberry Tablet OS and iOS
SAN JOSE, Calif. and CUPERTINO, Calif. — April 11, 2011— Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) and Zend Technologies, the PHP company, today announced Adobe® Flash® Builder™ 4.5 for PHP software, a new integrated product helping PHP developers create rich Internet applications (RIAs) for mobile, Web and desktop. For the first time, developers now have the benefit of an integrated development environment (IDE), combining the capabilities of Flash Builder and Zend Studio for rapidly creating Flex and PHP applications. Now, with a single code base developers can deliver applications for Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS and iOS while sharing code from Web applications, dramatically reducing the time and cost of application creation and maintenance.
Today’s announcement complements the release of Flash Builder 4.5, Flex 4.5 and the Adobe Creative Suite® 5.5 family (see separate press releases), further demonstrating the strategic alliance between Adobe and Zend and underscoring the companies’ strong commitment to the developer and designer community.
Accelerate Development and Differentiate Enterprise PHP Applications with Superior User Experiences
Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP is an Eclipse™ based tool for rapidly building expressive mobile, Web and desktop applications using PHP, ActionScript®, and the open source Flex Framework. Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP includes an integrated copy of Zend Studio 8, enabling developers to code and debug efficiently within a single environment, for the delivery of scalable, high-performance and secure PHP-based mobile applications on Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS and iOS. Using these newly integrated tools, developers will find it easier to differentiate their PHP applications by providing superior user experiences.
Ed Rowe, vice president of development tooling, Adobe Systems
- “With the rapid growth of PHP adoption in the enterprise, delivering superior user experiences for Web, mobile and desktop PHP applications has become critical for today’s developers. The integration of Zend Studio 8 with Flash Builder 4.5 brings together leading technologies for server-side and client-side development, enabling developers to efficiently and cost-effectively create incredible applications across desktops, Web and mobile platforms, including Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS and iOS.”
Andi Gutmans, chief executive officer, Zend Technologies
- “Building mobile applications is top of mind for many of our enterprise customers. The long-standing partnership between Zend and Adobe continues to produce exciting results, this time with Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP, which brings together best-of-breed technologies for rapid and seamless development of mobile applications based on PHP, Flash technology and Flex. With this new solution, customers can deliver high quality applications faster to the market.”
New Features in Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP Integrated with Zend Studio 8
- Combined Installer: Get the development process up and running quickly with seamless installation of the integrated products within Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP.
- Flex and PHP Project Wizards: Use a single UI framework, create Flex and PHP projects for desktop and mobile devices with a streamlined, optimal workflow.
- Data Centric Development Wizard for PHP: Connect to PHP services and generate ActionScript value objects in fewer steps.
- Integrated Debugging: Initiate both Flex and PHP debug sessions simultaneously, set breakpoints in Flex/ActionScript and PHP and accelerate through both front-end and back-end code in the same debugging session.
Build Mobile Apps for Android, BlackBerry Playbook and iOS Devices
The launch of Creative Suite 5.5 comes at a time when mobile devices are exploding in terms of sales and capabilities; fundamentally changing the way content and applications are developed and consumed. With the launch of Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 (available standalone or as part of Creative Suite 5.5 Web Premium), and the Flex 4.5 framework, developers can easily develop and deploy mobile applications to more than 200 million Android, BlackBerry PlayBook™ and iOS devices by the end of 2011.
Flash Enabled Devices on the Rise
With more than 131 million smartphones expected to have Flash Player installed by the end of the year, Adobe Flash brings rich content to desktops and devices inside the browser. Flash Player is supported on Android, HP webOS and Google TV today. BlackBerry Tablet OS, upcoming versions of Windows® Phone, LiMo, Samsung SmartTVs and others are expected to support Flash Player in the near future. For more information about the Adobe Flash Platform, visit www.adobe.com/flashplatform/.
- Flash Builder for PHP Product Page
- Adobe Developer Connection
- Adobe Flash Platform Blog
- Zend Studio 8 PHP IDE
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP is scheduled to ship within 30 days with availability through both Adobe and Zend’s Authorized Resellers, Online Stores, and Direct Sales teams. Estimated street prices for Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP Premium and Flash Builder for PHP Standard editions are expected to be US$799 and US$399 respectively. Adobe will offer upgrade pricing from Flash Builder 3 or 4. Zend will offer upgrade pricing from Zend Studio.
About Zend Technologies
Zend Technologies, Inc., the PHP Company, is the leading provider of software and services for developing, deploying and managing business-critical PHP applications on-premise and in the cloud. PHP runs more than one-third of the world’s Web sites and has quickly become the most popular language for building dynamic Web applications. Deployed at more than 40,000 companies worldwide, the Zend family of products delivers a comprehensive solution supporting the entire application lifecycle. Zend is headquartered in California with offices in France, Germany, Ireland, Israel and Italy. Visit www.zend.com, or follow www.twitter.com/zend.
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.