Red Hat Expands OpenShift Ecosystem with Zend Partnership to Offer Professional-Grade Environment for PHP DevelopersZend Server for Red Hat OpenShift Offers Simple, Highly Productive and Flexible Options for PHP Developers on PaaS
RALEIGH, NC – October 9, 2012 – Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced that it has expanded its OpenShift Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) ecosystem by collaborating with Zend, the PHP Company. Red Hat’s collaboration with Zend brings further flexibility and ease of application development in the cloud to PHP developers via Red Hat’s OpenShift PaaS.
The new Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift offering provides a professional-grade PHP development and runtime environment, delivered with the benefits of the OpenShift PaaS. PHP applications deployed to Zend Server for OpenShift can access built-in debugging, monitoring and application performance tuning capabilities, making application development and management easier.
With this, developers can deploy a new industry-standard PHP environment with one click, and in addition will enjoy the performance benefits of Zend Server, the top commercial PHP application platform, for the applications they are developing. This will include data and bytecode caching and the ability to use job queue capability to speed up core application processes. OpenShift also makes it simple to plug in additional software cartridges like MongoDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL to work with developers’ PHP applications, offering further flexibility for development.
Available as a free service since May 2011, Red Hat’s OpenShift PaaS delivers to developers a cloud application platform with a choice of programming languages, frameworks and application lifecycle tools to build their applications. The platform provides built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl and Java and offers customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add additional languages they choose to develop in. OpenShift also supports many popular frameworks, including Zend, Java EE, Spring, Rails, Play and more.
At its launch, Red Hat OpenShift partnered with many cloud industry leaders via the OpenShift Partner Program and expands this ecosystem of partners today with its collaboration with Zend. Zend’s strong client base using Red Hat offerings made it logical to enable a collaboration with Red Hat via OpenShift that combined Red Hat and Zend’s respective open source and PHP leadership. Through its collaboration with Red Hat, Zend offers its developers access to Zend Server on OpenShift, bringing OpenShift’s flexibility and value into the hands of more developers around the world.
The combination of OpenShift and Zend offers PHP developers two immediate sets of benefits:
- Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift
- Simple “one-click” deployment to OpenShift of a PHP runtime environment, pre-enabled with the professional-grade performance and management capabilities of Zend Server
- Allows developers to focus on creating code immediately as the full environment is pre-deployed as ready-to-go, versus having to manage server and software configurations
- Rock-solid, enterprise-grade, certified PHP stack
- Code optimization for greater performance: built-in data caching and bytecode acceleration
- Job queue for performing PHP tasks in parallel to improve application performance and reduce bottlenecks
- Advanced debugging in the cloud: code tracing capability to quickly pinpoint issues’ root causes without having to recreate them
- Zend Studio with OpenShift integration
- Fully featured Eclipse-based professional IDE is now integrated with OpenShift
- Zend Studio includes advanced productivity features, including refactoring, code assist and semantic analysis
- Simple “one-click” deployment to OpenShift of applications created in Zend Studio
- Makes it easy for teams to collaborate on application development
- Debug PHP applications directly in OpenShift PaaS
- Receive real-time alerts on issues
- Git and SFTP integration
Zend Server is available via Red Hat OpenShift at https://openshift.redhat.com/community/get-started/zend today.
Ashesh Badani, general manager, Cloud Business Unit and OpenShift, Red Hat
“Red Hat OpenShift offers developers a compelling combination of languages, frameworks and tools that allows for flexibility in building their applications. In comparison to alternative platforms, OpenShift offers a valuable ecosystem of partnerships that offers developers access to the true OpenShift platform for their development needs. Today, with the combination of Zend and OpenShift, it is much simpler to deploy and manage PHP applications in the cloud without the hassle of setting up servers and configuring software.”
Andi Gutmans, CEO, Zend
“With its long history of leadership and support of open technologies, Red Hat provides value to both developers and enterprises. We saw a strong opportunity to partner with OpenShift to make the enterprise capabilities of Zend Server available to the community of developers that are taking advantage of the OpenShift PaaS. With millions of PHP developers in the world today, it is exciting to be able to collaborate on an offering that combines the power of Zend’s leading tools for PHP developers and our enterprise-grade application server with the flexibility and strong ecosystem of integrated partner solutions that Red Hat is building with the OpenShift platform.”
Learn more about Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift
- Learn more about or access the offering.
- Learn more about the new Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift offering by attending the webinar “Simplified PHP Application Development for the Cloud with Zend and OpenShift” on October 17, 2012. This webinar will demonstrate how a developer can quickly create an application, deploy it to the cloud and easily debug using Zend's state-of-the-art debugging and diagnostic technology. Registration for the webinar is available at http://www.zend.com/en/company/news/event/1153_webinar-zend-and-red-hat-openshift?src=OpenShift.
- Red Hat will also be participating as a Platinum Sponsor at the ZendCon (PHP 2012) conference in Santa Clara, Calif. on October 22-25, 2012. In addition, to provide four days of professional education, training and networking, the PHP 2012 conference will feature a hands-on OpenShift hackathon on October 24, 2012 from 8-11pm PT. Special limited attendance registration for the hackathon can be found at http://www.zendcon.com/hackathon.
Connect with Red Hat
- Get more Red Hat news or subscribe to the Red Hat news RSS feed
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, the Shadowman logo and JBoss are registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
Red Hat, Inc.