Open Source PHP Development Tools
The Eclipse PHP Development Tools project (PDT) is the #1 open source PHP Integrated Development Environment (IDE). It has rapidly grown to be one of the most highly downloaded Eclipse projects. PDT provides an entry level IDE for with the basic code editing capabilities you need to get started with PHP development. PDT provides:
- Basic PHP Editing with syntax highlighting and coloring
- PHP code completion, code templates, auto-formatting
- Basic HTML Editing with syntax highlighting and coloring
- Local and Remote Debugging support for XDebug and the Zend Debugger
PDT is the foundation of Zend Studio the #1 commercial PHP IDE. Zend Studio Extends PDT with a number of high value additional features. See how PDT and Studio compare.
Getting started with PHP and PDT
The simplest way to get started with PDT is to download a "all-in-one" build from the PDT download page. This package contains all the required Eclipse and PDT components in one simple easy to install package. In addition you probably want a PHP Web server to run, test and debug your PHP with. Zend recommends Zend Server Community Edition or the free Zend Developer Cloud at phpcloud.com. If you are going to use a different web server you will either need XDebug to be installed or to get a copy of the Zend Web Debugger. Get PDT and Web Server debuggers here and you can get Zend Server CE downloads here.
Other installation techniques
If you want you can also install PDT from plug-ins in the PDT the Eclipse update site. The package includes PDT and the Zend Executable Debugger Eclipse Plug-in. Note: The PHP plug-ins are included in the all-in-one package.
- Open Eclipse and go to Help-> Software Updates-> Find and Install
- Select "Search for new features to install" and click "Next"
- Create a New Remote Site with the following details:
- Name: PDT
- URL: http://downloads.zend.com/pdt
- Check the PDT box and click "Next" to start the installation