New Zend Framework 1.8 Delivers Rapid Application Development (RAD) for PHP
Open source project benefits PHP developers and managers with new code generation and application management features, including programming support for the Amazon cloudCUPERTINO, Calif., May 1, 2009 – Zend Technologies, Inc., the PHP Company, announced today a new version 1.8 release of Zend Framework. The project is an open, collaborative web application framework for PHP development and deployment that includes contributions from the open source community and Zend partners.
Rapid application development (RAD) is now possible with Zend Framework 1.8’s automated and customizable creation of PHP-based web applications. This feature lets users create their own standards and processes for specific business needs when creating Zend Framework-based applications.
Cloud programming support for Amazon’s infrastructure is now also a part of Zend Framework, with both S3 (simple storage service) and EC2 (elastic compute cloud) components to help users quickly build web applications to both store and serve data, and to manage application instances in the Amazon cloud. Cloud deployment means less upfront investment is needed by organizations seeking to leverage utility computing and scalable services and making some classes of web applications easier to scale and faster to develop.
“With true customizable RAD programming for PHP as well as support for cloud-based development, Zend Framework is the premier choice for businesses ranging from small to very large who are wanting to develop and deploy web applications in the quickest way possible,” said Zeev Suraski, co-founder and chief technology officer at Zend Technologies.
“Zend Framework is clearly the most popular PHP framework for professional use in the industry today and the timing could not have been better—with the availability of Zend Server released earlier this month, users can deploy our enterprise-grade framework and additionally get the performance and reliability of our new web application server,” Suraski continued. “Zend Server has been tuned to be the best solution for running Zend Framework applications in production, bar none.”
Zend Framework is freely available as part of the recently announced Zend Server ( http://www.zend.com/zendserverannounced ), as well as in a standalone download, and is supported by Zend Studio and Zend Server integration points for both development and deployment phases of the web application lifecycle. Zend Studio’s built-in support allows users to easily code and customize their Zend Framework application in development and specific Zend Framework performance enhancements in Zend Server enable easy, reliable, and high speed deployment in production. Zend Framework can be obtained as part of the free Zend Server Community Edition available here: http://www.zend.com/products/server/downloads-all
New Zend Framework 1.8 features and their benefits are listed below:
- Rapid application prototyping is achieved with the Zend_Tool component. It provides an advanced infrastructure for generating and managing Zend Framework applications. Zend_Tool comes with a command line client (for instance, just type ‘zf create project’), however its additional remote procedure call-based (RPC) interface allows tooling components to be consumed via other RPC clients that may be custom-built for a user’s business need. Additionally, while developers may use the provided functionality, they may also drop in their own tooling classes for Zend_Tool to auto-discover and consume—making this a versatile solution for rapid application development and code management.
- Take your Zend Framework applications to the cloud. Zend Framework 1.8 adds components that support Amazon Web Services S3 and EC2, providing developers with the ability to both store and serve data redundantly for their applications as well as manage virtual machines in Amazon's elastic compute cloud.
- Zend Server backend for Zend Framework (ZF): use the Zend_Cache ZF component for Zend Server's caching API to dramatically improve the performance of your PHP applications.
- Re-usable and extensible application bootstrapping and initialization using Zend_Application. This component provides an object-oriented and configuration-driven mechanism for setting up your PHP environment, for autoloading library code, and for application startup, making it very easy to create reusable and selective resource initialization routines for your particular application.
- Internationalization with translation-aware web address routing by using locale-specific URLs in your Zend Framework MVC applications, plus locale support in numeric validation components, phone code support for locales, and support for filtering localized data to a normalized form and vice versa.
Other Zend Framework 1.8 updates too numerous to itemize include:
To find out more about Zend’s support for community-based and open-source projects like Zend Framework, please visit: http://www.zend.com/community
About Zend Technologies
Zend Technologies, Inc., the PHP Company, is the leading provider of products and services for developing, deploying, and managing business-critical PHP applications. PHP is used by more than 20 million Web sites and has quickly become the most popular language for building dynamic Web applications. Deployed at more than 27,000 companies worldwide, the Zend family of products is a comprehensive platform for supporting the entire lifecycle of PHP applications. Zend is headquartered in Cupertino, California.
For more information, please visit http://www.zend.com or call +1 408-253-8800.
+1 408 253 8812